“Mailbox size exceeds target quota 2.3 GB” when moving the mailbox between databases / servers.

When receiving such error please check you quota on mailboxdatabase:

[PS] D:\Exchange Server\V15\Bin>Get-MailboxDatabase | fl

RunspaceId : 5aa6941c-eadf-4c8e-b9fb-8163b7426622
JournalRecipient :
MailboxRetention : 30.00:00:00
OfflineAddressBook :
OriginalDatabase :
PublicFolderDatabase :
ProhibitSendReceiveQuota : <strong>2.3 GB</strong> (2,469,396,480 bytes)
ProhibitSendQuota : 2 GB (2,147,483,648 bytes)
RecoverableItemsQuota : 30 GB (32,212,254,720 bytes)
RecoverableItemsWarningQuota : 20 GB (21,474,836,480 bytes)

Set it up ou to your needs, in my case this database will be hosted only to export mailboxes to PST files:

 Get-MailboxDatabase WROMR0-DB001 | Set-MailboxDatabase -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota 120GB -ProhibitSendQuota 120GB 
Advertisements

Exchange 2016, owa/auth.owa and error 500 on ECP.

I was receiving error 500 and website was landing on owa/auth.owa on my Exchange 2016 server.

Interesting thing was – that happened to all admins but me  – who installed the server.

I found this blog post:

https://blog.ollischer.com/exchange-2016-http-error-500-after-logging-into-ecpowa

I’ve done all the steps, I ran UpdateCas.ps1 – that didn’t help, so I ran multiple commands that Alexander proposed – unfortunately that didn’t help out as well, additionally now I was getting popup asking me for to log in instead of nice Exchange website.

So I thought at least I will get back to the settings I had – removed Windows authentication and enabled form based authentication on ECP and OWA virtual directories, so basically I went back to previous settings:

Get-owaVirtualDirectory "\owa (Default Web Site)" | Set-owaVirtualDirectory -FormsAuthentication $true -BasicAuthentication $true -WindowsAuthentication $false

Get-ecpVirtualDirectory "\owa (Default Web Site)" | Set-ecpVirtualDirectory -FormsAuthentication $true -BasicAuthentication $true -WindowsAuthentication $false

Done iisreset, and once again wanted to see my error, I refreshed the page on the test user I made aaaaaaannndd… it was all working well.

A mystery…

Scooby-gang

How to check last run of Mailboxes’ Managed Folder Assistants.

WrongRetentionPolicy.jpg

Let’s say you have published wrong retention policy and you would like to check which mailboxes got this policy applied. To check when the last run of Mailboxes’ Managed Folder Assistant took place you might use below simple script – it is a mess but I’m sure you guys will retrieve from it what you want ^^.

Continue reading “How to check last run of Mailboxes’ Managed Folder Assistants.”

DMARK, DKIM and SPF – deep dive useful links (with focus on O365)

ReadAllAboutIT.jpg

Sometimes it is good enought to have a place where you got a reliable links where are all the information needed – as this blog purpose it to be my notepad also to let me remember thigs for a longer time, will place them here. Especially DKIM – it is broadly presented on the Internet, but I was not able to find a place where everything will be described from A to Z. So here is a portion of usefull links about mentioned mechanisms.

Continue reading “DMARK, DKIM and SPF – deep dive useful links (with focus on O365)”

Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery software

Hey Guys,

So just recently I came across software from Stellar to recovery Exchange mailboxes.

There are plenty of videos that recommend that software.

Here you can find User guide and Installation guide.

Knowledge base is also easily accessible here.

Software is recommended by many MVPs and engineers, so it got my attention.

Reading the instruction you got impresion that recovery using this tool is very easy indeed, if offers few interesting options. So what does it do?

Continue reading “Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery software”

X500 addresses – where is the beef?

x500aliens

Here is a great site that explains why x500 is needed and when it is used in on-prem and hybrid scenarios:

https://eightwone.com/2013/08/12/legacyexchangedn-attribute-myth/

Also, here is a little bit related subject about how to marry together a local AD account and already created o365 mailbox:

http://techgenix.com/match-office-365-mailbox-new-premises-user-hybrid-deployment/

Good article about history of x500:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/9650/NDRs-and-the-legacyExchangeDN.html

And some good article about x400 history:

http://techgenix.com/x400-addresses-exchange-2010-part1/

Exchange – two ways to create new role assignments.

Forgotten this recently and got caught spending some time investigating.

Boys and girls, remember one thing – if you create role assignments like this:

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name "ASSIGNMENT NAME" -Role "ApplicationImpersonation" -CustomRecipientWriteScope "IMPERSONATION USERS" -SecurityGroup "IMPERSONATION ADMINS"

where “IMPERSONATION ADMINS” is your a security group created by you – this role assignment will NOT be visible in your “admin roles” area in Exchange Console:

adminrolesarea

Instead, you need firstly create a Role Group and assign role to it, for instance

New-RoleGroup -Name "ROLE GROUP IMPERSONATION ADMINS"

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name "ASSIGNMENT NAME" -Role "ApplicationImpersonation" -CustomRecipientWriteScope "IMPERSONATION USERS" -SecurityGroup "ROLE GROUP IMPERSONATION ADMINS"

Only assigning a role to a role group allows it to appear in the admin roles area.

Remember about that!

remember